Monday, April 16, 2012

Lyon hotel-Urgent help needed

We are booked to stay one night in a hotel ranked in the top fifteen Lyon hotels but having read a couple of negative recent posts am now trying to find an alternative.We do want somewhere very central within walking distance of the old town but am struggling to find anywhere in Lyon that is not either out of the centre,poorly reviewed or super expensive.Reading hotel reviews I am struck by the general lack of enthusiasm for many of the top twenty hotels.Can anyone suggest something modern or traditional in the centre of town? We would even accept one of the French chains in the right location.I hope someone is able to help.Thanks




|||



why don%26#39;t you try www.accorhotel.com




|||



I agree with Philpetrus, the Accor hotels are generally OK. Try one of the 3 or 4 Mercure hotels located in the center.





Which hotel did you book? As you are an experienced traveller, I suppose you keep your head with travellers reviews. I saw negative travellers reviews on hotels I stayed in, but for reason I don%26#39;t agree on, all depending on what you are looking for and how fussy you are.




|||



Thanks guys----i will try the accor hotels---however one of the mercures centrally located also had some negative reviews. We have used mercures in France before and I am aware they can be variable.I would never reject somewhere based on one review but when there is consistant negativity I start to panic.I will look at the accors.



Do you or anyone else have further suggestions for clean central possibilities/



Thanks




|||



La Résidence has good reviews. The hotel is OK and the location excellent; it is a personal opinion though, I don%26#39;t like hotels in pedestrian streets as it is a desert at night, but you may like it. I like Grand Hotel des Terreaux and Hotel du Collège.






|||



Grand Hotel et du terrace is actually where we are booked and their recent reviews are really not good.Ditto the college hotel.I am confused --in many cities the top fifteen or twenty hotels are far more positively reviewed than in Lyon.Where are the hotels that people really like ?




|||



Maxb,





You might like to consider:



Villa Florentine - Up the hill between old lyon and Vieux Lyon. It is quite expensive.





More central but still in old Lyon you could try either: La tour Rose or La cour des loges.



Both situated on Rue du Boeuf.





On the other side of the river you have the Sofitel on the corner of Place Bellecour, minutes walk from the old town.



There is also a huge Radisson SAS Hotel. It is a little out on its own but it is on the tram line. Getting to the more interesting areas is quick and easy.





Cheers,





Martin.



Martin




|||



Hi MaLo thanks for your suggestions.Radisson a bit far out for an overnight.I saw Sofitel and emailed them as the reviews look good but although a read receipt was posted yesterday they have not responded to my reservation request.This doesnt really inspire confidence re their customer service level.This is more complicated than I expected.In Venice Florence Barcelona Milan Paris and many other cities the challenge is choosing between a dozen lovely places and in Lyon I am struggling to find one.Can anyone suggest why?



I will investigate your other suggestions



Thanks again




|||



Maxb,





citadines.com/en/france/lyon/presqu_ile.html



Very good location.



Might be worth a look.



Martin.




|||



well Maxb, Sofitel has no reason to reply. You have the website where you can book your room, no need to send them a mail, that%26#39;s usually the way to go with accorhotels ...




|||



Of course la villa florentine and la cour des loges are very nice, but I understood that you didn%26#39;t want to spend that budget. Please tell us a little more about the budget range and the kind of hotel you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment