Thursday, April 12, 2012

Car hire from Marseiile Airport

Hi. I need to hire a car picking up from Marseille Airport. I was just aboutto book one through Holiday Autos but then read some very bad reviews of the company. I on%26#39;t want to be ripped off, but at the same time I want to be sure that my car will be there and I won%26#39;t have loads of extras added on to my booking before the holiday even starts!



If anyone could offer advice/good experiences of a car hire company there I would appreciate your help. Thank you.




|||



How timely your posting is. I returned last week from Provence after a week based in Aix.I have always booked my car hire through Holiday Autos in Europe. My flights were with Ryanair so I booked my car via their website with Hertz as it appeared to be cheaper than Holiday Autos with Opel Meriva 1.3 diesel A/C for £153 for a week including CDW.





I prepaid in UK. I collected the car at Marseille Provence airport. Hidden charges emerged. Excess of 800E if accidental damage,1100E for vandalism or enforced break-in. Cost to insure against excess 17E per day! Charged 110E for a full tank of diesel and a local tax. Signed a chit on my credit card for 270E having already paid £153 before leaving UK.Nice car but what a rip off. Instructed to return car full or face extra charges. This is a ripoff. You pay for a full tank and are expected to return with a full tank. So you pay twice for the fuel.Never again with Hertz. Long to return to Holiday Autos.





Other problem. All arrivals on our flight had booked car hire with Hertz. Long Qs at their cabin. All other car hire cabins quiet.Ryanair-cheap flights cost, not cheerful, and stratospheric food and drink prices. I know you don%26#39;t have to partake.Food and drinks quality appalling even compared with Easyjet.





I see BA are advertising £100 return flights to Marseille and I would go for that except I live in NW England so Heathrow/Gatwick flights are out.Jet2 go too so I might look at them next time (if they are still in business).£350 for a weeks hire of a Meriva is a ripoff.




|||



Oh dear. Every company I investigate has terrible reviews or is hideously over priced. everyone seems to be charged more upon arrival or cars not ready or worse, no car at all. also people being charged on top of filling car uo with petrol and amounts appearing on credit card bills.I am really flumoxed and don%26#39;t know who to go with. I am also worried about pick up - my flight arrives at 23.00 but it sounds as though passport control etc may make me much later than this. will any of the care hire places still be open then? Please help! this is making me feel like cancelling!




|||



Hey





I%26#39;m also slightly worried about hiring a car as it will be the first time for me. I live in Edinburgh and although i drive i do not have a car. I have the same problem in that i arrive late and i think my biggest fear of driving in another country is driving out of an airport, in a stange country late a night!! So i am hoping to stay in a nearby hotel which has a free shuttle bus service and come back in the morning and pick up the car. I have just posted about this so i hope it is possible!!! A friend of mine who was in provence last year recommended Carhire 3000 and i might try them. Seems like someone has had a bad experience with all of them.





Louise




|||



As you do not have a car you won%26#39;t have a satnav. Borrow one or even buy one with European mapping. I traded up from my tomtom OneGB to Garmin nuvi 250 £120 on special offer from Currys. It wasn%26#39;t totally foolproof but I could not have managed without it during my week in Provence as my wife can%26#39;t read a map and the motorway network around Aix was baffling.



Before leaving home I keyed in the postcode of our hotel in Aix (Le Mozart-see my TA review) switched it on when I picked up the hire car at Marseille Provence Airport -it took about 5 minutes to relocate the satellites before I could drive off-and directed me to the hotel.And it will come in useful again in September when we go to Co Cork.





I know I go on about them but I have never had any probs using Holiday Autos over many years. You probably know they don%26#39;t have their own cars, they are a broker with an excellent online booking system.




|||



Ref my reply of 1 July. My credit card bill has just arrived. In fairness to Hertz I have to report that they have refunded me the 110E for the duplicated charge for diesel. And I didn%26#39;t have to ask them to.




|||



I can only speak from personal experience of renting about 10 times a year and we always use Hertz.





In the last 5 years we have only ever had one problem which was quickly rectified.





They are more expensive than other car hire firms (posts on this forum made me review a forthcomming booking)but in view of their track record with us I will stick with them.





We too had a late arrival and I checked with Hertz at Marseille and they waited for us until we arrived even though it was past the normal shutting time.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 04, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment