Tuesday, April 17, 2012

International Health Insurance

I just purchased a supplemental health insurance policy ----





Thought I would share it if anyone is interested.....





https:/…medquote





It was $105.00 for basic coverage to include emergency medical expenses up to $10,000





Peace of mind.......




|||



the one really difficult to deal with cost you might have when traveling abroad is the need to be air ambulanced back to the states -- that costs about 50K -- so a policy with such a low limit is not really worth much, especially if you have health insurance at home -- as most policies will pay for emergency care abroad -- except medicare (and of course if you are on medicare, then you really really need a travel policy with air evacuation coverage)




|||



I am definitely interested in pursuing additional personal feedback on this topic. In inquiring about insurance quotes on the website insuremytrip.com, I was told by a representative that with any pre-existing condition, most companies would not pay for transfer back to the US nor treatment in a French hospital. Needless to say, I didn%26#39;t purchase an insurance policy within the proper time frame to cover preexisting conditions. Many personal US medical insurance will reimburse with proper documentation upon your return, but all expenses incurred in France are out of your pocket. If anyone can give me information to the contrary, I would really appreciate it. Not to be morbid, but I would like the peace of mind to know that should I die in France, my husband wouldn%26#39;t have to morgage the house to bring my body back! I%26#39;d rather just be sprinkled over the Seine:)




|||



Check out AIG Travelguard Insurance. It covers for pre-existing conditions if you purchase within 14 days (maybe it is 15 days) of making your first downpayment of air or hotel etc.





They cover shipping body home or sick or injured traveler. For $10.00 more each we added more coverage.





I have used they many, many times ....they pay out on claims! ( First hand experience for myself andfor my entire extended family too!)





I would use them and recommend them.




|||



Here is an extensive thread that has a great wealth of information.





tripadvisor.com/…5533748




|||



Just a side note:





My regular health insurance does not reach overseas at all, so I needed this extra coverage. It does include $25K coverage for emergency MedVac services.





The U.S. State Department%26#39;s website has a section with a list of referrals regarding overseas health insurance companies they recommend. You can purchase the basic, or go bananas with it for very extensive coverage. :)




|||



Discover, thanks for the info about insurance companies and the website concerning former discussions on this same topic. I will definitely request copies of policies from the top five companies. On previous trips I always purchased travel insurance, but didn%26#39;t have the same health issues that I now have. Totally different ballgame this trip! Hopefully pre-existing conditions will not nullify transport back to US in case of death. We%26#39;%26#39;ll see. Not expecting my demise, but one never knows.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, October 07, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment