Friday, March 30, 2012

Renting a car after 23.00

Hi!



We are looking to rent 2 cars at the Marseille airport but we are arriving at 23:05. I%26#39;ve read that the airport is open until midnight so it shouldn%26#39;t be any problem and I found one car company called autoeurope. Does any one know of any other good car companys? Any suggestions on where to look? And also as we are flying ryan air will we be able to rent a car from MP2, cos that is a special terminal or soemthing right?




|||



Hi Rebecca,



I%26#39;ve often used MP2 in Marseille. It%26#39;s just a second terminal in the airport, a few minutes walk from the first one. The car hire offices are all outside in the car hire car park, just across the road from the terminals.I always use hertz there, but I cant advise about what time they close. There is a Hertz link on Ryanair home page where you can price the car and indicate a collection time.I%26#39;m sure the opening times can be found here. Hope this helps. B




|||



Ok thank you. This is what WirralScouse wrote in another topic about Hertz renting card though:





I prepaid in UK. I collected the car at Marseille Provence airport. Hidden charges emerged. Excess of 800E if accidental damage,1100E for vandalism or enforced break-in. Cost to insure against excess 17E per day! Charged 110E for a full tank of diesel and a local tax. Signed a chit on my credit card for 270E having already paid £153 before leaving UK.Nice car but what a rip off.





This is why I%26#39;m doubting Hertz.




|||



Hi, Yes I%26#39;ve seen that, but also check Boucheboy on a similar topic recently. He like me, always uses Hertz from here. I always pre-pay and always take it with full tank and return with full tank. The option of extra insurance is worth a look ( about Euro 15/day, I think). Its not essential, or they%26#39;d ensure you take it without choice.I decline this as I have extra cover from home. So basically, the pre-pay price you see on the quote is what you pay if you receive and return with a full tank, nothing extra.I%26#39;ve often got an upgrade too. B




|||



ok so nothing extra at all? you don%26#39;t even have to put in a deposit for damange that might happen to the car? becasue even though you would get the deposit back you won%26#39;t need the money the last day of your holiday when you return the car.



thanks so much for the help though. i really want hertz to be good becasue I couldn%26#39;t find anything cheaper and Hertz offer a very good price.




|||



Hi Rebecca. Yes MP2 the terminal for lowcost airlines is adjacent to the airport proper.So you have to walk to the main buildings for facilities. Clearing Passport Control on arrival was unnecessarily lengthy procedure and I suspect MP2 gets poor staffing compared to main terminal.You need to know (we didn%26#39;t) that the Hertz pick up point is in the main car park in front of the main terminal building (as are all the other hire companies%26#39; cabins).





As you know I was not pleased with Hertz booked through Ryanair. You don%26#39;t find out about the extras until you arrive in the cabin even though the prepaid lead-in price is great.No complaints about the vehicle it was pristine.It seems all Ryanair passengers booking hire cars book with Hertz so there is a long Q on arrival.I would look elsewhere eg Holiday Autos.You know where you stand with them.





This full/full fuel policy is a blatant ripoff and it has more effect with the increased cost of fuel.I was discussing this with my mates in the pub last night.Previous customer returns vehicle to Hertz with full tank. Hertz charge you the next customer 110E for fuel.You use that fuel and return car with a full tank.It cost me to refuel from a quarter full 47 euros. So I paid 157E for fuel.Next customer collects car and Hertz charge him 110E for fuel. Just not right but I know this is a scam going on all over Europe.





No doubt Ryanair are getting a handsome backhander from Hertz for the internet link and I would not begrudge them that if the prices were open for all to see.I blame Hertz not Ryanair. I suggest you use the company you have found or Holiday Autos.Since travelling to MP with Ryanair I see that other airlines fly from UK eg BA,Jet2.com,bmi baby.





This was my firt Ryanair flight (I am going to Ireland with them in September).The food and drinks prices and quality are obscene. We took our own food on the outbound flight but as we had a lunchtime flight back and arrived at the MP2 terminal with minimal time we had to buy refreshments on board.I know all the extras are voluntary payments and the basic flight costs are cheap but the standards are so low and the prices so high. Spirits served in plastic wallets not even plastic bottles. But flights both ways were early and Tony O%26#39;Reilly doesn%26#39;t pretend to offer trimmings.




|||



Hi Rebecca,



Yes, never any extras and I%26#39;ve used them with and without going through the ryanair link. As I said, I pickup with a full tank, and return with full tank. Hope this helps. B





Hi Wirral, Tony O Reilly??? B




|||



Yes bt you are right to ask. I had used the name of Tony O%26#39;Reilly (formerly Chairman of Heinz) instead of Michael O%26#39;Leary (Chairman of Ryanair).Bet that confused a few. Thanks for pointing it out.





Maybe I am missing something with this full/full fuel arrangement? Surely full/empty is better?



As I said before I paid £153 upfront online for the Meriva with CDW. I discovered the whopping excess charges in the event of accidental or vandal damage so opt for the waiver of 17 euros per day of 7 days. That is 119E. I was charged 116E for the supplied full tank of diesel. With local taxes I paid 270E in total at the Hertz desk. If I had wanted them after my return to top the tank up they would charge for cost of fuel PLUS 14.19E service charge. I said I would return full which I did. En route to the airport a week later tank indicated 1Q full so I filled up. 3Qs of a tank 47E. Remember Hertz 116E for a full tank. So overall I paid 163E for just over 3Qs of a tank of diesel.





Or looked at another way I paid £400 including charges for the 1.3 Diesel Meriva and 3Qs of a tank of fuel.I might not know the difference between Tony O%26#39;Reilly and Michael O%26#39;Leary but I do know when I have been ripped off.




|||



Hi Wirral,



I don%26#39;t know about your transaction, but all I know is I use Hertz about 6 times/year there and I always take a car with a full tank and return on full tank, and I never pay anything else for fuel. I only pay for what I buy myself at the pumps. As I said I decline the optional extra insurance as I have cover from home. B




|||



Wirral





The fuel really confuses me and I%26#39;m sure somebody has made a mistake. I always pick the car up with a full tank and return it with a full tank so nothing to pay. Once in a while they have tried to say that it was not full on return and I later see a charge on the invoice but on disputing this, along with evidence (receipt) from airport garage, this has always been refunded.



Have you tried disputing the fuel charge?



It seems like a misunderstanding and they thought you were going to return it empty - then the charge makes sense but it is a very expensive to use their fuel.



The excess is normal and it is always more to reduce the excess to zero. Some people already have insurance to cover this, some take the risk.




|||



I will wait and see what appears on my credit card statement.Then I will contact Hertz.I am very sure of what I paid and it was too much. £400 for a week and 3Qs tank of diesel is over the top.





There is lot of discussion just now on Malaga Forum about full/full hire arrangements.The lady on the Hertz desk spoke good english so I knew what my commitments were.And I speak schoolboy French.

1 comment:

  1. Our complete line of services include Preventive Maintenance such as oil changes, brake repair, check engine light diagnostics, radiator and cooling system service, air conditioning service, tire and wheel services and replacement, battery and electrical repair, and suspension and shock absorber replacement. We also provide major engine repair and transmission service and repair.buying used cars

    ReplyDelete