Friday, March 30, 2012

Anyone gone on a 'Paris Walks' walk?

Has anyone gone on a walk with this group?



I had planned last year to do the Montmartre one, they meet at Metro Abbessess at 10.30 Sunday and Wednesday morning, however I took the metro line in the wrong direction last year and was 11am by the time I got to Abbessess.



This year I%26#39;m determined to try this walking guided tour of Montmartre.Going again in September.



They also do loads of others, I%26#39;m just curious if anyone is familiar with them. They only charge €10 per person.




|||



We did their Marais walk in Oct. Very good -history,architecture, amusing stories. Gives you a good feel for area to then visit on your own. Oriel , one of the owners, was our guide.



We did a Montmatre walk with Fred from Classic Walks(12 euro I think) and it was excellent too.



In Aug. we plan to do pariswalks St Germain one.



I like combining guided tours with exploring on your own- I read guide books and internet ALOT before I go.




|||



Also have used the sister company in London- Hampstead and Pub Walk.




|||



Hi;





I%26#39;ve been on a number of their walks, three to be exact.





They are informative and entertaining. As mentioned they are fine introductions into historic neighborhoods, a good springboard for further exploring.





Since there are no reservations, [you show up at a metro station(usually)] the drawback can be that at times the group reaches 20 or more and roaming with that size group may be uncomfortable for some.





That%26#39;s only happened once though. The other two times there were 10-12 people. A pleasant two hours for 10 bucks




|||



FWIW the DKEyewitness travel guide has a good self-guided walking tour of Montmartre which starts at approximately the L%26#39;Abyesse metro stop and winds its way to the top at Sacre Coeur, pointing out various things along the route. The batteaux lavoir, e.g. There is another walk down on the other side.





Pjk




|||



I did an Ernest Hemingway walk with them as well as a Marais walk (they had 2 Marais walks--I did one). They were both wonderful and when I go back I will probably do another one or two. I thoroughly enjoyed them and for 10E or 12E (I can%26#39;t remember which it was) they can%26#39;t be beat.




|||



On the Hemingway%26#39;s Paris walk our guide read from a couple of the italicized sections of his The Snows of Kilimanjaro in which Hemingway describes sights around the Paris he had remembered form the 20%26#39;s.





Pjk




|||



I thoroughly recommend Paris Walks, I started doing London Walks which, like Paris Walks, are very good value for money.



You get an insiders knowledge, they can point out things no guide book can, and they know their history. In Paris that is very important.



Another bonus is that you will meet like minded people in the group. Travelling on my own I find this gives a bit of companionship for a couple of hours.



As the caption on one of my photos:- %26quot;a well spent 2 hours and 10 euros%26quot;.




|||



We went on the Paris Walks tour of Montmartre and loved it! Our guide (Iris) was great - she was very informative and entertaining. You wander up the hill and at the end of the tour are in front of Sacre Couer, which you then explore on your own. We enjoyed it so much that we were sad not to have another day to go back and spend more time exploring the area. Iris, through her stories and narrative, really brought the artists to life. We also took the Paris Walks Chocolate Tour. I was a bit hesitant on this one because it was more expensive, but we had so much fun. We found that we definitely got our money%26#39;s worth in the high quality samples - hard to believe but we were actually chocolated out by the end of the tour! Do go on the Paris Walks Montmartre tour - you won%26#39;t regret it!




|||



Hi ell69Ireland, we went on 4 %26#39;Paris Walks%26#39; on our first trip to Paris in 2006. All of the guides were passionate about Paris, had great knowledge and storytelling skills. The price is fanastic, we are returning to Paris in October where we will be doing further walks with %26#39;Paris Walks%26#39;,The Chocolate tour, St Denis if it is on. Go for it, have fun.




|||



I have done several walks with Paris walks and would highly reccommend them, I did paticulary enjoy the Montmatre walk, we had an American guide who was really informative and interesting. I loved the sculpture of the %26#39;man walking through the wall%26#39; in Montmartre, something I never would have seen had I been roaming around on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment