Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Paris - Bois de Boulogne

My husband and I have an opportunity to rent a large first floor apartment for 5 nights that is 550 yards (500M) away from the Bois de Boulogne and 220 yards (200m) from the Auteuil Horse racing track. Is this a safe area or does it turn into a %26quot;red-light district%26quot; at night? Thanks.




|||



I%26#39;m really not sure so I hope some other %26quot;experts%26quot; comment. I have heard through that the Bois de Boulogne is not a good place to be at night.





Many years ago my girlfriend and I arrived in Paris and we didn%26#39;t have a place to stay. Some students at one of the Universities heard us talking at a Metro station. When they found out we planned to camp at a campgrounds in Bois de Bologne they said %26quot;no way is that safe%26quot; and allowed us to sleep on their floor for two weeks. I have heard things since then that confirm this same notion about Bois de Bologne.





Two years I saw a Moliere play at a theatre in the park performance one afternoon in that park. It was so beautiful and full of families that it is hard to imagine %26quot;indiscretions%26quot; at night. However, it is a huge park so I imagine some areas might be okay while others are not.





Again, I hope someone can give you more specific helpful information.




|||



I have also heard the Bois de Boulogne is a place where people hang out to meet people for sex (a la George Michael!)





Having only ever been there during the day, I have not witnessed this for myself but if you%26#39;d rather not take the chance, you might want to consider staying elsewhere - do you have other options?




|||



You won%26#39;t be on the streets of the Bois which are the ones to be wary of. There is a Carrefour (think Super WalMart) and a nice garden. That area would still be considered southern 16th, not Bois.




|||



the key thing to know is how close is the nearest metro stop. My childhood au pair lives near there, and its a good 10 minute walk to the nearest metro (Marcel Sambat, I think - its been almost a year and I dont have a map here). I can stay for free in an apartment in her building and would rather pay for a more central location.




|||



Regarding it turning into a %26quot;red light%26quot; district at night, the Bois de Boulogne is a huge park and it%26#39;s perimeter hosts a concentration of the prostitution business.



I think the %26quot;key thing to know%26quot; is STAYING OUT OF THE PARK AT NIGHT. It%26#39;s not the prostitutes or their Johns you need to worry about. It%26#39;s the predators who smell the cash in the john%26#39;s pockets and are cruising the parks after dark for opportunities. The entire Bois de Boulogne park but particularly the perimeter where it borders the city are places to avoid when it%26#39;s dark. It%26#39;s a concentration of predators.



If you don%26#39;t venture across the boulevard into the park when it%26#39;s dark, you%26#39;ll never even see a hint of the nasty stuff. The neighborhoods are safe and not a concern at all. In the daytime, the parks are fine and nothing to worry about. That whole underworld scene just seems to go away when the sun comes out.



I realize that this may not be very reassuring but the areas outside the park are absolutely fine and as safe as anywhere in Paris at any time of day or night.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 02, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment