Friday, March 30, 2012

Just returned 4 days in Paris for the first or many times

Reflecting on my recent 4 day stay in Paris, I would not even think of going on the tube or bus next time to get anywhere. You feel like cattle on the tube, the directions are horrible, and you get tired just getting to and from the entrances. Busses are also crowded and traffic is slow. If I can%26#39;t budget for cabs, I won%26#39;t go.



Small neighborhood cafes were excellant, friendly and affordable. Pasrtry shops will destroy any diet, but they are a feast for the eyes. I came to Paris for the art work and the beautiful buildings, chose not to spend my dollar on high priced resturants and losing twice with the dollar/euro exchange. Too much to see, caught most of our meals at the museums or nearby.





The 3:45 PM tour at the Louve in English on Wednesday is a perefect time. The museum stays open till 10, and the tour guide said the museum was packed all day, but we got right up close to the Monas Lisa at around 5 PM. The tour lasted 1.5 hours and we covered every major art piece, had some dinner in the pyrmid, and spent a more time exploring a truely great museum.




|||



Thanks for the information on the Louve Tour in English on Wednesday. How was dinner in the pyrmid?




|||



Did you have to make a reservation for the Louve tour?



quinnye




|||



Can%26#39;t entirely agree about the Metro or buses, though I appreciate they may take time to get used for someone from your location. I think many find the hustle and bustle of travelling on the Metro part of the Paris experience. I%26#39;ve always found it interesting, in fact on occasions it%26#39;s even cheered me up, though I have cheated and taken a taxi sometimes.




|||



I personally LOVE taking the public transport there.. its actually one of the highlights for me. The metro is so much fun. Yes its busy, but thats part of the experience! Plus every metro station looks different.





Looking forward to getting my 5 day metro pass in Sept....





If you cant budget for cabs then you wont go? Thats too bad.




|||



There is a ticket office for Louve Tours inside the Pyramid. After I purchased entrance to the Louve, I had to go to another ticket office for the tour. I arrived about an hour before the tour started, and just had a lite bite at the pyamid cafe waiting. The tour cost 6 euro, and took all the shortcuts to make the Louve come alive. A 10+ experince




|||



%26quot;personally LOVE taking the public transport there..%26quot;



On reflecting on what my wife and I planned before our 4 day Paris visit, versus what we accomplished, the time, money, and physical exersion of the tube seemed like a handicap. We came to Paris for the art work at the museums, and we take every museum tour and lecture we can find. In 4 days, we hit the Louve, d%26#39;Orsay, Center Pompideau, l%26#39;Orangerie and Musee Moarmotton-Monet. With proper use of taxis, we could have visited the Musee Rodin which was on our pre planning trip, and also the Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame.





Since the 5 day paris metro is $49.69 per person, or $100 for 2 people, I don%26#39;t think the taxis would have cost us more than $200 for all these 8 museums in just 4 days, and we would arrived refreshed. An extra $100 to see %26quot;priceless%26quot; artwork available nowhere else is a bargain I won%26#39;t pass up on my second trip.



4 days in Paris is definitely too short, but the Hilton Eiffel Tower at $700 a nite put a major hit on my AMEX




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment