Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Same old, same old....Day trippers seeking nice food.

Bonjour, (practising my French!)





I know it%26#39;s been said a thousand times before - but we (hubby and I) are looking for somewhere to lunch in Calais or Boulogne, no fish please. ( well maybe mussels for me if they are in Roquefort, had them once in really sweet little restaurant in Boulogne but cannot remember name - shame - gorgeous!).



Anyone know where I can eat those again? At a reasonable price fixed menu.



We have eaten in Buffalo Grill and hated it.





Place d%26#39;Armes was mentioned as lots of eateries? And Cafe de Paris in the rue Royale 2 mins walk from place d%26#39;armes, Am I on the right track?





It%26#39;s hubby%26#39;s birthday so I%26#39;d like to know things before hand to take out the stress.





We do sort of try to speak french so the menu won%26#39;t/shouldn%26#39;t pose too much of a problem.





What times do restaurants open their doors lunchtimes? So that we can prepare without queues of people.





...AND FINALLY please can anyone tell me what the little green drink is the French always have, because I want to try that too. Is it Creme de menthe - and do you have it as an aperitif pre dinner or afterwards?





Not interested in buying any beers, wines or food but will definitely go to either Cite d%26#39;Europe or Auchan just to look for French bits and pieces that cannot be bought in England. Which one is less foody and more kind of Asda%26#39;ish with cookware etc...





Okay... back to ploughing through the forum for now, making an itinerary.



Thanks for any info, much appreciated.





Au revoir



Bernadette and Paul




|||



Same old answer to the same old question! Do a forum search for Restaurants in Calais and see what you find, you could also do a google search - especially for moules!




|||



The French have a number of Green Drinks - Creme de Menthe is one, Chartreuse another, Absinthe another but this is not all. They are mostly Liqueurs for after dinner, but some are also taken as appetisers - confusing eh?




|||



Firstly bravo somebody else who hates Buffalo Grill!





The Green stuff? hmmmmm maybe GET27? It is a liqueur de menthe but I wouldn%26#39;t say you see it that often and hey drink it as you want appero or digestive





The rue Royal / Place d%26#39;Armes is the best for small brassieres etc and the Café de Paris is good, opening times normally for descent restaurants as a rule of thumb mid-day and you wont get in after 2pm but the smaller café %26amp; brassieres mid day to mid night non stop.





As a change try the coast road between Calais %26amp; Boulogne the D940 you’ll find a dozen and more restaurants down the coast and where to get mussels well it’s probably easier to tell you where not to get them, many places will do them a la Roquefort just check the menus outside.





Calais will be busier around mid day as office workers will be eating out so to avoid the queues try outside town a bit







calais-cotedopale.com/modulosite2/fiche.php…




|||



We visit northern France on a regular basis - in fact we are off next Friday. Sometimes we have a day trip with a good lunch but mainly we stay overnight. You mention the area around Place d%26#39;Armes so I%26#39;m assuming you are looking for brasserie type restaurants. One we%26#39;ve visited on a number of occasions and a particular favourite of our daughter is Le Calice. It%26#39;s a short distance away with easy parking outside (free for 2hrs after midday):





www.lecalice.com/modulosite2/fiche.php…





Not sure if this is what you have in mind? They have daily specials which are always popular. If you%26#39;re interested in something a little more sophisticated I%26#39;d be happy to give my thoughts - we%26#39;ve tried a wide variety of restaurants in Calais and Boulogne as well as places in between. Lunch in most restaurants seems to be available from 12.30pm onwards but Le Calice, being a brasserie, has more flexible hours.





We%26#39;ve never been to Cite d%26#39;Europe so unable to say what sort of cookware is available there. We have though often called in to Auchan in Calais and the one just outside Boulogne, which we much prefer. They both carry the usual range of cookware - let me know if there is anything in particular you%26#39;re looking for. I know they don%26#39;t stock Le Creuset - only a cheaper version!




|||



Thank you for replying to my post, I have been reading past posts, but any little extra help is always good.





The reason I posted this on the forum in the first place, was because we had such a bad meal at Buffalo Grill last time we were there, I desperately didn%26#39;t want that to happen again. It%26#39;s only one meal - one day - and I don%26#39;t want it spoilt by not choosing the right venue.





I will check out the Café de Paris, and the coast road looks promising, I just need to be pointed in the right direction, so great tip, thank you.



I am thinking now that I might prefer the quieter Boulogne.





As for the %26#39;green drink%26#39; I give up, might buy a bottle of everything green to bring home and do a taste test!! Should be fun.





Joannaspencer





In a nutshell, we are looking for a long leisurely lunch with really good food, good comfortable atmosphere, not necessarily a brasserie.



If needs be, to take it to the next level, a view would be superb. But a quant little village or seafront walk afterwards would do the trick too. MMMM can%26#39;t wait!



A typical french menu, please. We don%26#39;t like fish, (Moules for me an exception) but as I have been looking through websites, most places do some meat dishes, so that would be fine.





It is hubby%26#39;s birthday, but I want it to be reasonabley priced.



Ideally, to give you an idea, I suppose around £35 for 2 for a set menu - without wine. So anything posh at that price with a view?!?!? Is that reasonable?





I am looking around for everyday crockery and maybe cutlery, kitchen accessories, table settings. Nothing special just looking for french bits and bobs. (My husband hates me browsing and not stating categorically what it is I want - difficult when I don%26#39;t actually know!!!) Te he! It%26#39;s my day too...looking forward to your recommendations.



Thanks to you all for helping me along the way.



Bernadette




|||



Here are a few suggestions, given your constraints:





Le Chanel, Calais



restaurant-lechannel.com/modulosite2/…





La Liegeoise, Wimmereux (slightly above your budget but has the view your looking for plus a walk on the beach afterwards)



hotelatlantic-delpierre.com/www_en/liegeoise…





Hotel les Dunes, Bleriot Plage (walk on beach)



http://www.les-dunes.com/Accueil.html





La Bonne Auberge, Ardres (village setting)



…opalenews.com/modulosite/…





I could suggest others but they are either too far to drive for a day-trip, too expensive or only recommended for fish





As regards shopping I think either of the Auchan supermarkets or LeClerc, just outside Boulogne, would stock what you%26#39;re looking for. I still use two dinner services I bought for everyday use some years ago which remain stocked by them and at 3euros a plate you can afford to replace them if dropped!




|||



Le Chanel in Calais is one of the best but with no view at all, if you%26#39;re after a meal with a view this is where I go the Aquar%26#39;Aile which is right on Calais beach. The owners took the top floor of a block of flats and turned it in to a restaurant with a wonderful view of the channel the port and England, perhaps a little on the expensive side but if it%26#39;s a birthday.





http://www.aquaraile.com/




|||



Hi All,





Just want to say that although I seem quiet, I%26#39;m not, I am working through all the recommendations with a fine tooth comb.





Getting maps, menu%26#39;s and locations of all the restaurants around Calais and Boulogne.





It%26#39;s only a day trip but it%26#39;s all very exciting - isn%26#39;t it? I%26#39;m really looking forward to the day.



(I have been before but not armed with this amount of info)



But then the more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.





So my thanks to you all for sharing your vast knowledge with me.



It%26#39;s greatly appreciated.





I%26#39;ve still got a couple of weeks to go yet!! And still researching.



Bernadette




|||



Hi there





If you don%26#39;t want fish, I recommend Histoire Ancienne on Rue Royale. The meat is cooked on an open fire at the back of this bistrot restaurant. Prices are good too. www.histoire-ancienne.com.





They do moules with roquefort at La Mer which is an all day seafood restaurant near the junction of the main road with Boulevard de la resistance - port end of town. I think they do sme of the best moules in town.





Happy dining!




|||



Thanks BW -



I%26#39;ll add it to my list, it looks lovely





Still got a week to go :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment