Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bertillon Ice Cream

After visiting Paris on two different occations for over a week each time and going back again this Sept. one of the few things I have found that was a complets bust was the famous Bertillons ice cream.



For over 4 euros [$6.00} you get a double dip that the first bite you miss it and the second bite you bite clear over it. Its hard to tell the flavor because ther is so little of it how would you know.



I think the posters here on TA must own stock in the company or are just laughing their heads off at all the tourists they have covinced to try it.



I had a double cone and imeadiatly afterwards stopped at the other gelato place a block away and had another cone . It was a much better deal and great tasting.



I have ruffled enough feathers for now but I was bored reading all the same requests for the same informatoin all the time so I thought I would stir up some merde.




|||



I totally agree, I found Berthillon to be nothing special tasting, and way over-priced for what you get. Amorino gelato was a much better value, and wonderful tasting.




|||



And what is with an ICE CREAM place being closed in AUGUST??




|||



Bmanley,



Thats so they can get rested up to be open in January.




|||



I agree with you Bertillon ice cream is way over rated.





I have had an over price golf ball scoop of rum raisin from Bertillon that tasted like %26quot;merde%26quot; and I promptly threw it away.





I went to straight to Amorino for a delicious ice gelato treat!





Actually there is a wonder artist ice creamery near Strasbourg. They make all kinds of birthday cakes and wonderful cups of made on the premise flavored ice cream. We buy them for birthday parties for our cousins!





I do not think you will ruffle many feather ... people have decided what they enjoy in Paris and will recommend Bertillon Ice cream whether you like it or not.




|||



We were a bit disappointed in Bertillion ice cream as well. I know that everyone is different and obviously this expensive ice cream is exactly what some people really like but I can%26#39;t help wondering what horrible ice cream they normally eat that makes them rave and rave about how fabulous this is?



I think it%26#39;s a bit like the Emperor%26#39;s New Clothes! Everyone thinks that they have to LOVE it and no one is game to admit that it%26#39;s just icecream!



My family of 4 tried 6 different flavours. 2 varieties of chocolate, 1 caramel, 1 lemon sorbet -all rather boring. The grapefruit sorbet was OK but the gingerbread was quite spectacular! 1 flavour out of 6 is a bit sad....





My view was that it is nice ice cream - nothing special! If you walk past have one and make up your own mind but don%26#39;t get your expectations too high because like us you might just be disappointed.




|||



As with anything, the more someone raves, the more you set yourself up for disappointment. We agree, my kids and I each got one scoop different flavors, and they just shrugged, ice cream is ice cream. I had the white chocolate and it was good, almost a thick, grainy kind of taste, though. I think the big objection is the big price for what you get. Something we had to try. Now, we never did get to try macarons, told my kids we had to and they said why do we want to eat little %26quot;hamburger cookies,%26quot; lol.




|||



I totally agree that Bertillon is nothing special.





There is fantastic ice cream (and gelato) all over Paris. You stumble into it everywhere.





Much better to find a regular sized sugar waffle cone and a normal size scoop at a fraction of the price, just as good, if not better, than Bertillon.




|||



This post has made my day. I haven%26#39;t had many disappointments in Paris but Bertillon was definitely a big disappointment. Tiny little scoop; huge price. Okay ice cream but BIG DEAL! I just don%26#39;t understand why people make such a big deal of it. And then on my last trip I decided to try Amorino, also on Rue St. Louis on L%26#39;Ile St. Louis. So delicious, so beautiful the way they shape it like a rose; priced reasonably. Never again will I bother with Bertillon. I didn%26#39;t even know I liked gelato but now I know I love it. And I love how pretty it is.





Also, same wonderful story about Gelati d%26#39;Alberto, 45 Rue de Moufftard, just off Place de la Contrescarpe--beautiful rose-shaped gelato in delicious flavors.





I thought I was the only one who didn%26#39;t like Bertillon.





Thanks everyone for coming out of the closet!




|||



Can I stir up even more of a hornets nest ?



I was really looking forward to maccaroons after hearing everyone thinks they are soooo great , went to Paris and paid a fair amount for a small box to find they are just - ok! Not fantastic , just kinda ok!?



I think I%26#39;ll steer clear of Bertillon when I go next.



By the way,one thing I was dying to try and it lived up to its reputation was the mont blanc at angelinas WOW !




|||



I%26#39;m pleased to see someone also appreciates Gelati d%26#39;Alberto but now I%26#39;m worried. I love the ice cream but I also love the short lines and decent prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment