Sunday, April 15, 2012

Weekend in Paris coming up!

Hi, my daughter and I are staying at the Hotel Home Latin near the Pantheon (any comments on the Hotel?)on Friday for 3 nights. Planning to do Orsay, Versailles (is it worth going to?)and clothes shopping - not designer! Any tips on reasonably priced restaurants, especially North African, near the Pantheon?




|||



My AUD$0.02 - while there is major work going on at Versailles, it%26#39;s not worth it. You won%26#39;t see the Chateau as it%26#39;s meant to be seen. And it%26#39;ll take a day out of your 3 day trip.





The Marais is great for funky boutiques. Enjoy.




|||



Hi and thank you so much for your advice!! That would have been a wasted day especially as my daughter is 16 and more interested in shopping than anything else! Am thinking now of a day at La Vallee Village!




|||



It depends on your daughter but the Chateau Versailles is very pretty inside and full of history but you need to get there very early not to be in the crowds. La Vallee Village is centre for top labels which my daughters 18, 23 enjoyed but didn%26#39;t buy much as was too pricey, better stick to the Marias.




|||



Hi chippy,





I took my daughter to Paris last year for a weekend, she was then 15. I too thought she was more interested in shopping and before we left I researched all the shopping areas etc. However while we were there, she had a fantastic time, she looks back on all the museum trips with fondness. We didn%26#39;t go to Versailles. She was fascinated as was I with Monets Waterlillies at L%26#39;Orangerie, we did numerous trips together on the batobus. In the D%26#39;Orsay she said she loved seeing Van Goghs Starry Night up close, after seeing it in books so many times, she said it was %26#39;cool%26#39; to be able to actually see the brushstrokes up close.



We went to the catacoombs, and a few months ago , haven%26#39;t watched it yet , but there%26#39;s a scarry movie out there about the catacombs, she watched it with her friends and was able to say %26#39;I was there%26#39;



We strolled up the Camps Elysees one day and she spent an hour or so in Sephora, a teenagers paradise. I actualy enjoyed sampling products myself that will always be way out of my price range.



We took a trip to Gallerie Lafayette, she evn took photos of this to show her friends, it is beautiful inside. However our budget didn%26#39;t stretch to actually buying anything inside, other than lol! a McDonalds, but when we came outside she enjoyed buying a few bargains from the stalls outside.



Do inform your daughter though of the various scams that take place then she%26#39;ll be prepared. I was glad I had forewarned my daughter as she was ambushed at the botom of Sacre Coure , these guys trying to tye the bracelet on her wrist, she would not give them her wrist and one guy actually tried to grab her but she was ready for him, so they gave up. If I hadn%26#39;t read about this scam on TA before we left we wouldn%26#39;t have known.



You%26#39;ll have a ball together, our trip really gave my daughter and I some %26#39;quality%26#39; time.



Don%26#39;t worry about evening time , even on the metro I never once felt unsafe.



I%26#39;m sorry I%26#39;m not familiar with any North African stores , but I%26#39;m sure other posters can advise.



I%26#39;m heading back again in September, but with my husband this time.My daughter was a wee bit sad when I told her that it would be just me and dad this time, but I%26#39;m glad that she has caught the %26#39;Paris bug%26#39; and I know after having her little taster she will return.



You know funny, though, she still takes art in school, its her final year, and any art books she now sees she comments on various paintings and says, %26#39;nothing like seeing the %26#39;real thing%26#39;.%26#39; Paris did this to her. She%26#39;s hooked.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, October 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment