Thursday, April 12, 2012

Geneva to Avignon

I will be staying in Lausanne in Switzerland and going to Avignon via Geneva.





I searched in sbb.ch website and got this:



Lausanne to Geneve



dep 07:20 arr 08:04 (train IR1406)





Geneve to Avignon



TGV dep 08:17 arr 11:10 (TGV)





Can anyone suggest that whether there will have enough time to go thru the immigration in Geneva?





How can I reserve the ticket from Geneva to Avignon?





Thanks for your help!




|||



The connection times make me nervous. Unless you are intimately familiar with the station AND there are no lines, your train to Avignon may end up leaving without you.





What to do:



1. Go to Deutsche Bahn -%26gt; http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en





2. Enter %26quot;Lausanne%26quot; for the starting point, and %26quot;Avignon TGV%26quot; for the destination.





3. Click %26quot;Via.%26quot; Enter %26quot;Geneve%26quot; for the station/stop.





4. Enter 00:30 for the duration of stopover.





5. Enter your preferred dates and times.





6. In the last row of the table, find the %26quot;Details for all%26quot; link. Click it.





7. Look for trips with at least 25-30 minutes between each stop. Right now, I see a 12:20 departure from Lausanne that arrives in Geneve at 13:04. The Geneve train leaves at 13:44 and arrives at 14:44 at Avignon TGV.





To purchase tickets:





1. Go to the SNCF travel site -%26gt; http://www.voyages-sncf.com





1A. You may also want to consult this SNCF booking guide, written by forum member Morgan B -%26gt; tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3019/Paris:F…





2. Enter your travel details. To find your train, choose select the hour before the train%26#39;s actual departure. (E.g.: For 12:20 train, select 12h).





3. Leave country as %26quot;FRANCE.%26quot;





4. Choose your route.





5. Purchase the tickets.





Note: If it gives you the option to print tickets, choose that. If it only gives you the option of picking them up at a rail station, you will have to pick them up at a station IN FRANCE. If this isn%26#39;t possible, book with SBB.ch





Hope that helps.




|||



Fracnce-maniac, thanks so much for your prompt reply.



I think I will probably stay in Geneve at the night before then.





Do you think in this case, I will be able to get the paper ticket to go to Avignon?





Apparently, my plan are:



Geneva -%26gt; Avignon



Avignon -%26gt; Nice





So I am thinking of NOT buying any French railway pass. And try to get the EUR22 prem train ticket and I think I will try to book it online as early as possible. My trip is in Oct and I will probably buy these 2 ticket sometimes this month.





Do you think it%26#39;s proper?




|||



%26gt;Do you think in this case, I will be able to get the paper ticket to go to Avignon?





Yes. Order the Genève-Avignon TGV segment on the Swiss Rail site. SBB will give you the option of picking up tickets (Fr: billets de train) at a Swiss rail station ticket counter (guichet).





%26gt;So I am thinking of NOT buying any French railway pass. And try to get the EUR22 prem train ticket and I think I will try to book it online as early as possible. My trip is in Oct and I will probably buy these 2 ticket sometimes this month.





%26gt;Do you think it%26#39;s proper?





I think that is a fine plan. Just remember: PREMS are nonrefundable and cannot be exchanged. Also, make sure the train departs from Avignon TGV - trip will be more direct and easier this way. There is a shuttle connecting the TGV station to downtown. It leaves at the Post Office (La Poste) and takes 20 minutes.





Sorry for the not-so-prompt follow-up. Hope this helps so more.




|||



thanks, france-maniac.



The information is extremely helpful.





I will try to book the PREM ticket base on your guide. My only concern now is Geneva is not a French rail station (am I wrong?) and I won%26#39;t be able to get the paper ticket which I bought using my credit card?




|||



%26gt;I will try to book the PREM ticket base on your guide. My only concern now is Geneva is not a French rail station (am I wrong?) and I won%26#39;t be able to get the paper ticket which I bought using my credit card?





Ahh, I should have been clearer:





1. Genève-Avignon TGV tickets should be purchased online via the SWISS site. They are picked up at a SWISS rail station, such as the one in Genève. These tickets are not eligible for PREMS. PREMS are mainly for travel within France, and are only sold on the SNCF site.





2. I recommend however that you seek out PREM fares for the Avignon TGV-Nice part of your trip. These should be purchased on the SNCF site and can be picked up at any French rail station.




|||



thanks france-maniac.



I tried to book the ticket online using either TVG-europe.com or sncf website. However, my train which I searched from sbb.ch doesn%26#39;t show up.





There is no TGV train depart geneva 8:17am and arrive Avignon at 11:10am on all the date, (I was looking for Oct 13, 2008).





Will there be such a discrepancies? thank you.




|||



this is so weird that it state that it will arrive %26quot;avignon centre%26quot; instead of %26quot;avignon TGV%26quot; I assume those 2 are different and Avignon centre is not used anymore? Please correct me if I am wrong.




|||



%26gt;I tried to book the ticket online using either TVG-europe.com or sncf website. However, my train which I searched from sbb.ch doesn%26#39;t show up.





Don%26#39;t book the Genève-Avignon TGV on TGV-Europe or the SNCF web site. Their timetables will not display accurate information for a date this far away. You have to book this trip on SBB.ch. It won%26#39;t work right now because you are trying too far in advance. You must wait 90 days from the departure date - July 13.





%26gt;this is so weird that it state that it will arrive %26quot;avignon centre%26quot; instead of %26quot;avignon TGV%26quot; I assume those 2 are different and Avignon centre is not used anymore? Please correct me if I am wrong.





Yes, they are two different stations. Avignon Centre is used for local trains only. All high speed trains (like the TGV) arrive at Avignon TGV station, located about 20 minutes away from the city. Some high speed trips %26quot;arrive%26quot; at Centre, but the passengers have to disembark at the TGV station and take the shuttle for that to happen.





Travel instead to the TGV station. Right outside the station, you can catch a cheap shuttle to the city center.




|||



Thank you! Your information cannot be more detail and I really appreciated that.





I have one last question. I decided to stay in Geneve and will take the train:





Geneve to Avignon



TGV dep 08:17 arr 11:10 (TGV)



car numer is 06806





This information was being searched by sbb.ch.



However, when I tried to book the ticket thru



VOGAGE-SNCF.com or tgv-europe.com. They are showing:



eurotravel.idv.tw/forum/attachment/Fid_6/6_1…



Please see the screenshot.





I have some questions here:



1) I understand that the ticket are being sold as PREM (the discount ticket) 90 days ahead. However, when today Jul 11, I tried to search for Oct 9. It just show the regular price ticket.





2) The time which stated on the screen is 7:01am to 11:10am. The departure time is different from what I have research (8:17am). Am I doing something wrong here?





3) I would like to print out the ticket and is the french website is only way to do that?





Thanks so much!




|||



Starting July 14, go to the Swiss rail site (http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm). Buy tickets for your Geneve-Avignon TGV trip on the Swiss rail site. These tickets are only sold at full price. There no are no PREMS.





Then, change web sites. Go to voyages-sncf.com. Book PREM tickets for Avignon TGV-Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment