Thursday, April 12, 2012

bugsy's bar

I was in paris for a week and dined in the most expensive and chicest reataurants and night clubs (Buddah bar, Manray, Club Latino and Bound). They are all overrated !!!! If you want to have a pint of beer and eat a great meal in an Irish Pub with a couple of great barmaids visit Bugsey%26#39;s. It is on a quiet street (rue Saussaies) near the American Embassy and the Presidential palance. Alan, Dermott and ID will make sure you will never want to leave. It is my third time in Paris and it is one of the best hidden jewels of the city.



Jeff


Montreal, Canada




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I was in paris for a week and dined in the most expensive and chicest reataurants and night clubs (Buddah bar, Manray, Club Latino and Bound). They are all overrated !!!! If you want to have a pint of beer and eat a great meal in an Irish Pub with a couple of great barmaids visit Bugsey%26#39;s%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





Just out of an idle curiousity, which of Paris%26#39;s many internationally highly rated, Michelin-starred restaurants did you dine at that compare so unfavorably to the food at Bugsy%26#39;s (do they even serve food there?...other than garnish in cocktails and mixed nuts on the bar?...besides toothpicks, stirrers and straws, do they even have %26#39;..utensils..%26#39; there?) Clubs/lounges like the Buddha Bar, Man Ray, et al. are often mentioned as Paris nightlife %26#39;hot spots%26#39; but to the best of my knowledge, NO ONE has EVER praise what %26#39;..food..%26#39; they serve...few have even mentioned it.




|||



Isn%26#39;t travelling to Paris and becoming fixated upon an %26quot;Irish pub%26quot; a bit odd? Even %26quot;hauling coals to Newcastle%26quot; wouldn%26#39;t touch that one.





An imitation Irish pub in the cultural capital of Europe, oh well. The next thing I expect is a crepe stand in New Jersey that rivals the Paris ones.




|||



Thanks for the tip Jeff. An Irish bar in Paris may not be everyone%26#39;s thing but you obviously enjoyed your time there and kindly took the time to share it with us. We may call in for a pint when we arrive in November.




|||



I used to work around the corner from Bugsy%26#39;s and I know Alan personally.





The bar isn%26#39;t an Irish bar -- its modelled after the American speak easy. The outside fascade says %26quot;jeweller%26quot; in French. Inside, it has pictures of 30%26#39;s and 40%26#39;s Chicago gangsters. The whole concept is quite clever.





And on top of that the staff is quite friendly and nice, beyond just the service, which is what you can%26#39;t get at top Michilen restaurants. -- they friendly, but impersonable.





So to each his own, I say. I eat at top restaurants in Paris, but I would still give anything for a good beer and a chat with Alan when I%26#39;m in the mood. You can%26#39;t go for Arpège every evening.





I%26#39;m surprised that you even found the place because it is known by the work crowd in the 8th rather than by visitors.








|||



Titian,



You are right. I should not have referred to it as an Irish pub. The reason why I know the place is that I stay at the hotel de L%26#39;elysee which is adjacent to the pub.



Countingdays,



Hope you have a good time in Paris in November.



Georgeco,



There are times when you do not want to eat Parisian food in Paris. Do you only eat Poutine in Canada ?



KDKSAIL,



I think you have to be 75 or older if you are using the Michelin guide for reastaurants. They do have utensils in Bugsey%26#39;s and the food is delicious. I had pasta in a salmon cream sauce.





Jeff




|||



Sorry Jeff, I didn%26#39;t intend to offend. I have had poutine only once and coronary arteries complained in writing so I decided to avoid it permanently.





I presume that your question asked that when I ate poutine it was only when I was here in Canada. I truly wasn%26#39;t aware that it was indeed serverd anywhere but Canada and Mertle Beach SC.





If, the question actully meant: Do I eat poutine only when ever at home? then well... of course not.





When I make the pilgrimage to Paris ever couple of years, I do however seek out French fare exclusively. I can find a great burger and fries for far less than 25E.




|||



In defense of the Irish bar, I must say that for those who long for a good vodka/gin %26amp; tonic, WITH ice, at the end of the day, the options in Paris are rather limited. We have found that an Irish (or British) bar works for us. In fact, we target one whenever we are in Europe, and with the exception of Stockholm, we have never been let down. Try Coolins in the Marche St. Germain.





Can%26#39;t say that being from Chicago we would frequent a Chicago themed bar! We get our gangsters live here at no cost.





Cheers.




|||



I must agree - I love a good pub - no matter where it is :-) And the staff always seems friendly in a pub. (being in Florida we are somewhat good-pub deprived for the most part)





When I stayed at Hotel Champs du Mars just off rue Cler, this one was in walking distance on rue Dominique...





http://www.obriens-pub.com




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I think you have to be 75 or older if you are using the Michelin guide for reastaurants.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





You%26#39;re wrong on both counts (age and the merits of the Michelin Red Guide)...but that%26#39;s okay. It%26#39;s hard to take anyone who claims that pub grub compares favorably to Paris%26#39; better restaurants seriously. You have dined somewhere other than the rue de la Hichette,rue de la Hapre and sidewalk Nutella crepe carts during your visits, right?




|||



KDK,



Sorry it took so long to reply. As I already stated I ate at very nice restaurants in Paris. The Sushi at Manray was delicious but overpriced. It was 380 Euros for 4 of us. Perhaps they are not what Michelin likes but who really cares. WHAT DOES A TIRE MANUFACTURER KNOW ABOUT FOOD !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment