Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Expedia.com.au continued!

Sorry about that - it threw me out of my topic!Should I book through Expedia for my hotel in October? Has anyone had any problems with them?I%26#39;ld appreciate your input asap as I need to book.




|||



While there is probably nothing wrong with booking through Expedia, afterall they own Trip Advisor, I always prefer to book directly through the hotel%26#39;s official website. Having said that I always check Trip Advisor comments and ratings of hotels. I have used and consequently booked hotels this way for several trips to Europe and have been very happy with the outcome.




|||



Booked through Expedia.ca (Canada) 2 years ago for an hotel in Venice and was quite satisfied. Even though I had to pay up front compared to guarantying the room with a CC on the hotel%26quot;s website, we saved close to $200CDN for a 3-nighter.



I suggest comparing prices and accounting for future conversion rates fluctuation. You pay on reserving but you have no surprises with the exchange rate.




|||



I know people who have used Expedia with no problems and got what they expected.



Depends what hotel you want and where you want it. If you aim to stay in the big cities, tourist magnet hotspots, or in monoculture chain hotels, they are like any booking agency. You can find a hotel on one site and find the same hotel on umpteen other web sites to save a couple of Euros a night.



I have looked several times and not found what I wanted. If you want smaller towns / rural locations, independently owned, individual, really french hotels, with a regional identity, try elsewhere.



Only you can decide whether to pay a lot of money up front through a booking agency, or pay the hotel direct. If the latter, you can book direct with the hotel or use a local organisation eg Logis de France, or there are Auberge groupings etc.



ALWAYS check the cancellation policy, they can vary a lot. Logis have NO penalty if more than 48hrs notice, then only 1 nights room price afterwards.




|||



I%26#39;ve recently booked a break in Paris through expedia for the end of August. It%26#39;s the first time I%26#39;ve used them so time will tell if I%26#39;ve made the right choice.



I used them because I%26#39;m treating my sister for her sixtieth birthday (she%26#39;s older than me!) and saw that they had a %26#39;three nights for two%26#39; offer at the Hotel Select (next to the Sorbonne), much cheaper than booking Eurostar and the hotel (or a similar one) separately. Had it not been for this offer my sister would have to have made do with one of the more basic hotels my friends and I usually stay in.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, October 06, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment