Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ST Michel RER station to St Germain exit

Two weeks to go! One last question, if I might. Thanks to everyone on TA for the answers to my questions and others posts as well. I have learned so much. You are all so generous with your time and knowlege. I feel comfortable with my choice to take the RER %26#39;B%26#39; from CDG to St Michel station (I will get on at the front of the train and try to get a seat near the doors) but I need to make my way to the Cluny/Sorbonne exit to walk down Rue St Germain. Would you recommend I exit at ST Michel and walk outside? Which direction do I turn? or should I follow the %26quot;Correspondence%26quot; signs and passageways thru to the Cluny Metro station? How long would this take? Which direction do I head when I get off the train? Any better suggestions! Merci!






|||



metromole????




|||



bump....anyone?




|||



I might be a little fuzzy on this one (it%26#39;s been about 6 months since I did it), but you can follow signs inside the station to the St. Germain exit. I believe it%26#39;s exit 2 and I also think but won%26#39;t swear that you go left when you get off the train. There%26#39;s a short set of stairs to walk up to Blvd St. Germain, but it should be managable if your luggage isn%26#39;t too heavy.




|||



I could be wrong; it%26#39;s been about 6 mos for me as well...but if I remember correctly, it seems like there were signs for which street the exit will take you up to.




|||



Sorry juanita58, I somehow completely missed your post.



I think the RER is safe at any hour if you%26#39;re comfortable with taking public transportation. If it%26#39;s your first time or you have limited experience on PT, OR, you have a ton of luggage, you may want to take a taxi at that hour.



If I were arriving at CDG and was headed into Paris, there would be only one choice, the RER. I wouldn%26#39;t give it a second thought. I%26#39;m not the least bit concerned about personal safety because I do this all the time and know the basics of avoiding any problems. I can manage personal safety because I am a city dweller who uses PT every day. Avoiding problems is covered extensively on TA so a search will yield a wealth of info. First and foremost, don%26#39;t take the RER if you have a lot of anxiety about doing so.



If you%26#39;re comfortable using PT, I can recommend this: Take the RER-B into the city. The line terminates at CDG so there%26#39;s only one direction - toward Paris. No risk of going the wrong way.



Take an express train, one that goes directly from CDG to Gare du Nord.



The express trains bypass all the stops in the suburbs but they stop at ALL Paris stations including St-Michel. About every third train leaving CDG is an express. You can see where the trains stop on the displays over the platforms at CDG. You would be looking for a train who%26#39;s NEXT stop is Gare du Nord (Paris Nord). Board that train and stay on it till it stops at St-Michel/Notre Dame which ALL RER-B trains do.



«I will get on at the front of the train and try to get a seat near the doors» I don%26#39;t understand that bit of advice. I would position myself in a 2-facing-2 seat and keep my luggage away from the doors.



«Would you recommend I exit at ST Michel and walk outside?» I%26#39;d recommend that you go directly to street level and navigate from there. «or should I follow the %26quot;Correspondence%26quot; signs and passageways thru to the Cluny Metro station?» That%26#39;s a really long walk. Do as little underground walking as possible unless you like stairs. There is no advantage to walking this trek other than the signage that guides you there and that%26#39;s less than terrific.



Assuming you%26#39;ve purchased a map of Paris before departure (which is mandatory), when you reach street level from the St-Michel station, you%26#39;ll walk toward the Fountain of St-Michel and follow the map the %26lt;two blocks to %26quot;Boulevard Saint Germain%26quot;, (you mention %26quot;rue Saint Germain%26quot; but I don%26#39;t know where that is so I assume you mean the boulevard).



«Which direction do I head when I get off the train?» If you want escalators to street level, walk toward the rear of the train and follow the signs to %26quot;Sortie 5%26quot;. You%26#39;ll emerge in front of the Notre Dame cathedral and it%26#39;s a short walk across a short bridge to Place St-Michel. From the front of the train, you will emerge directly on Place St-Michel but there will be some stairs and somewhat confusing navigation to do. Either way, you%26#39;re not far from Boulevard Saint Germain.



I hope this helps.




|||



Thanks to everyone for your advice. To Metromole: your explanations are detailed and appreciated. My comment regarding sitting nears the doors was from someone who recommended that as the trains can get busy and getting off with luggage can sometimes pose a bit of a challenge. Maybe not an issue on the express train? I think I like your suggestion better. I grew up with public transportation so have no worries about that at all. Thanks again!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, October 05, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment